When donating to Ukraine, check whether the organization’s activities and bank are registered in Lithuania. It’s important to ensure that the organization publishes its performance reports publicly.
Before donating, pay attention to the signs that allow you to determine whether the indicated recipient of support is reliable:
- Carefully check the account numbers in social media posts and on the official website of the support fund – they must match;
- Ensure the organization requesting donations has registered its activities in Lithuania and check how long it has been operating. Such information can be found on the website of the State Tax Inspectorate HERE;
- Note in which country the beneficiary’s bank account is located; to avoid currency exchange fees, it is most convenient for customers of financial institutions operating in Lithuania to transfer donations in euros to accounts in financial institutions of eurozone countries; if the organization is established abroad, information about expected support should be posted on the official pages;
- Find out whether the organization has already provided similar assistance to Ukraine before; pay attention to the way of providing support: for example, if donations are offered only in cryptocurrencies, this should raise suspicion;
If extremely large amounts are requested, this is one of the signs of fraud;
- Our country’s laws require that charities and support funds publicly submit an annual report at the end of the financial year, so ensure the organization is doing this.